Driver Skills International (DSI) deliver Defensive Driver Training courses that provide valuable information about driving safely that is often recognised by Australian courts.
If you have been charged with reckless or drink driving we suggest you consider obtaining legal advice on the best way to move forward and prepare for your court appearance.
We encourage all drivers to be safe and mindful of the fact we share the roads with many friends and family and avoid drink driving and reckless driving at all costs – however if you have found yourself on the wrong side of the law – treat it as an opportunity to make a difference and become a responsible road user in the future.
Our flexible delivery Court Ordered Safe Driving Course is designed to ensure rehabilitation of drivers through structured training. The course is designed to provide defendants with a certified driving rehabilitation program covering risky driving behaviours, drugs and alcohol. Also covered are safe driving behaviours and skills. The course is modular and allows for individuals to access the required components. A certificate is issued for each module on successful completion.
The program has three components being:
1. Online self-paced training
This training is moderated and all assessments must be completed successfully.
- Concentration and Attitude
- Risk Taking Behaviour
- Fatigue Awareness and Time Management
- Effects of Speed
- Vehicle Loading / Trailer Towing
- Trip Management
- Road Law
- Alcohol Awareness
- Drug Awareness
- Common Crash Scenarios
- Safety in the car
- Driving Position
- Steering Techniques
- System of Vehicle Control
- Braking Systems
- Emergency Procedures
- Defensive Driving Techniques
At the completion of the course it is expected that all drivers will demonstrate:
- An awareness of how risk taking and motivation can affect your safety on the road
- How to identify potential hazards and avoid them
- Improved vision while driving
- An understanding of the risks associated with alcohol, drugs and fatigue
- The importance of correct tyre pressures and condition of tyres
- The importance of seat belts and other safety devices in the vehicle
- How to minimise distractions and loose objects in the vehicle
- How to identify different braking systems and how to use them effectively
- How speed can effect stopping distances
- A responsible attitude to self, other road users and community
- How to apply defensive driving techniques
Cost $150 incl gst
2. Driving assessment
A professional trainer will conduct an in-car assessment to identify driving skills deficiencies.
- Achieve a safe emergency stop on a wet road
- Apply hazard avoidance techniques
- Experience the effect of speed on stopping distance
- Apply vision skills
- Apply correct car control techniques
Cost $300 incl gst
3. One-to-one coaching and assessment to issue Nationally Recognised Qualification
A professional trainer/assessor will conduct training and assessment to achieve the required competencies for accreditation.
Cost $300 incl gst
Please note that this course is not sanctioned by any Court and therefore undertaking this course is not a guarantee that a Court will accept the program as suitable in your circumstances. All participants should rely on the advise of their Legal Advisor as to the appropriateness of the course in their circumstances. It is designed around the Nationally Recognised Training skills package for defensive driving with a specific application to risk and safety.