The course has been designed for drivers who operate 4WD vehicles on gravel and sealed roads and includes a basic introduction to 4WD systems and operation. This course provides essential skills to handle a 4WD vehicle on either gravel and/or sealed roads. The focus is on developing the defensive driving and basic vehicle handling skills that are required for the Australian Environment.
- Risk Taking Behaviour
- Fatigue Awareness and Time Management
- Vehicle Loading
- Trip Management
- Alcohol Awareness
- Drug Awareness
- Safety in the car
- Driving Position
- Emergency Stop on unsealed road surface at various speeds.
- Operating in 4WD mode
- Operating on off road tracks
- Basic recovery equipment safety
- Workplace policy and procedure compliance
At the completion of the course it is expected that all drivers will demonstrate;
- the ability to identify and avoid hazards on the road
- emergency braking techniques on and off road
- defensive driving techniques
- an understanding of the effects of Alcohol / Drugs / Fatigue
- an understanding of correct tyre pressures and when to alter them
- correct four wheel drive techniques off road
- an understanding of safe operation of recovery equipment
In order to participate in this course you require at least your “P” class licence. You will need to provide your own registered and roadworthy vehicle.
This training will be delivered face to face either on site or at a suitable venue arranged by DSI.
The course is assessed using a variety of methods including written and practical assessments.
Course costs vary according to State and venue. For detailed cost information, please contact DSI on (07) 5353 7177 or click on the Enquire button below.